Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Diamond Fold Book Tutorial

Okay here it goes! I learned to make thesethis summer. I was helping out at a scrapbooking convention and got to sit in on a class that made them. I hope you like them, please let me know if you have any questions!


Diamond Fold Book

Supplies:
2 coasters 4x4 (or chipboard, bookboard, cardboard, etc)
2 pieces of patterned paper cut 5 ¾ x 5 ¾
3 pieces of cardstock weight patterened paper that is double sided (thin will not work for this) cut 7 ½ x 7 ½
Adhesive – mono adhesive or double stick tape, and also something stronger – mono multi or red liner tape (o’so sticky strip)
1 piece of ribbon about 22 inches long ( I prefer narrow organdy ribbons for this)






Step 1:

Adhere coaster to back side of pattered paper. These will make up your front and back covers on your book.












Step 2:
Trim the corners of the paper at an angle so you have ¼ inch at the corner. Do this for both front and back covers.













Step 3:
Adhere opposite sides down to coaster. Only do these two sides. (Top and bottom, for example.)















Step 4:
Use your bone folder (or in my case – pampered chef scraper) and fold in corners. Then adhere those last two sides to the coaster.













Step 5:
Take your 3 squares of cardstock. I usually use 2 that are the same and one that is different. This makes for a nice look when the book is unfolded. Take one square and fold it in half, scoring as you go. Open it up and fold it in half the other way, score again. Open it up. You should have a large square with 4 small squares visible from the folds. Now fold it diagonally in half and score. Repeat this sequence with all 3 squares.




































Step 6:
Take one of the folded papers. To fold into the diamond shape, you must fold the 2 solid squares (no fold line dissecting the square) towards each other. You do this by pushing in the triangle shapes in between. You want the two outer pieces to be folded with the triangle edges tucked forward and the one middle piece to have the triangle pieces tucked behind. When you have them into a folded square, score all edges again.




































Step 7:
Adhere all 3 squares together. You will put the paper you want to see when you open the book facing you when you stick them together. The two squares that are folded “forward” will be the two on the ends. The one folded “behind” will be the center sheet.

























Step 8:
Fold entire book together and score again. You should see the 3 squares in a kind of accordion look now.


















Step 9:
Take the front cover of your book. Use a strong adhesive around the edges and a spot in the middle. Lay ribbon across the middle of this cover.



























Step 10:
Adhere one end of your diamond folding to the cover. Repeat with the other cover on the other end of the book, but do not use ribbon on this part.













Step 11:
Embellish as you like. I often print photos that I have removed the color from to glue inside the book. I have also cut squares slightly smaller than the ones inside the book, then cut them diagonally and used those triangles to decorate the inside of the book. Have fun with it and make it your own! I can’t wait to see some of yours! Please post here and show me!








6 comments:

Soozie4Him said...

Emily - I LOVE your tutorial! I'm NOT a person who has an easy time with these 3D things, and I actually think I can do this, with your excellent instructions! I think some people call these "squash books". Love it, love it! Thanks SO much for taking the time to 'splain this to us!

Susan/Soozie4Him

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing this...so clear and with pics. I'm going to give this a try over Christmas break. Janet

Marie said...

Emily, what a GREAT tutorial!!! I think you've made it nice and easy to follow and the pictures are wonderful. Would you mind if I posted your tutorial in my blog? I would, of course, say that it's yours and I would also put a link to your blog in with it. My e-mail is mcclellans@stx.rr.com Thanks!!!!

broni said...

Wow, Emily. This type of card always seemed so difficult to me.. Didn't think I'd ever be able to do one. But your tute makes it look so easy! Can't wait to try it. Thanks so much!

Brooks Daily News said...

I can't wait to try this out!! It would be so much more fun if I could come to your house!! I always had so much fun stampin' at your casa!! Have a merry CHRISTmas!

Anonymous said...

Hi, І'm a writer based out of Coniston Cold, Great Britain and I discovered your site via http://emilymomto3boys.blogspot.com/. Would you have any points for those looking into blogging? I'm wоrking on launching my oωn blog sοon but I don't really know where to get started. Do you think I should start off with a free site like Open Blog or shell out some cash into a pay site? I'm сonfronted wіth a lot of options and іt's all so daunting... What would you say?

my blog post: musikeiro