Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Blood....

I hate to give blood. I don't like shots, but especially now that I get regular allergy shots, I can deal with them. But the whole taking blood out of your body thing.....it's awful.

I had to give blood today for a ton of bloodwork that the rheumatalogist requested. I won't know the results until my next appointment. It was not fun though. The phlebotomist says "Wow, you must be one special lady!" as she lines up empty tube after empty tube for all the different tests. "I hope you have enough blood!" Sheesh! Like I wasn't already feeling freaked about it.

After she did at least 10 tubes worth, yikes!, she asked if I had eaten yet today. Um...no, they told me not to. So she told me to make sure I ate right after this. Well, DUH! I mean, for those of you that know me, I have to eat first thing in the morning.....or I am totally cranky. I had already promised myself a nice bacon and egg (no cheese cause American cheese is nasty) McGriddle once I got finished. I love those things! I never let myself have them and it'll probably make me sick later (all that greasy stuff just doesn't process well for me) but man, was it GOOD!

Can you believe she didn't offer me a cracker or some OJ?!? Oh well. I just hope they got all they needed and that I don't have to do that for a few more years. You'll never catch me at a blood drive. Sitting there letting them suck the life out of you into some tube. Blech! I just can't stand it. I focus on some point in the room and make myself breathe.

Ok, I should be finishing my stamp camp cards right now....

3 comments:

Amy Davis-O'Malley said...

I'm with you too - I tried to donate a few years ago, but almost passed out during the interview!!! I'm getting better at having blood taken since I need to have my sugar checked every few months, but please, don't ask me to donate!

Natasha said...

I am not a good blood giver either. After just one tube, if I'm not lying down, I'm one of those who is likely to pass out. I can't believe they didn't have anything there for you!!

Anonymous said...

I hate giving blood. I signed up with a friend. She started freaking out after 2 minutes and left. I stuck with it.

I thought they had forgot about me and left me to bleed to death! It took FOREVER and I felt terrible afterwards.

Too scary. I won't ever do it again.